Friday, October 23, 2015

Two Worlds - Drifting

This is a 200 word “YA” short story that I wrote for Carol Nissenson @nissenson for being my 50th follower on Twitter. She wanted something “YA, which I love. If not, something realistic and nonviolent.” Well, I hope you like this very short story. It’s the thoughts of a daughter and her father after she’s informed him she would rather stay at her mom’s for the night.

Two Worlds - Drifting

God my dad is such a jerk! I just want to go to mom’s and he’s got to make me feel guilty for that?? She’s MY MOM! It’s not like I don’t see him after school every day, I don’t know what the big deal is. Besides it’s not even fun over here, it’s like the whole house is dead now or something. I’m never good enough. “Turn off the lights” “Is your homework done?” “Why don’t you keep things here?” I swear I’m going to just go live with mom permanently and then see how he likes it. God!
                                                                --------------------------------------------------

Is it because we don’t have anything in common? She’s changed so much since this summer, missing her sister, obsessing about makeup, and never off her phone. I try my best to have the food she likes and let her be. I wish her mom would just make her stay, but she always says, “Ask Dad.” Then I’m the bad guy if I say no. Maybe I should say no. I want to. I want her here. It feels like her heart is fading to the distance and all I can do is stand at the line and wave goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment